15 Ways To Prevent Falling at Home
- Clean up clutter around the house.
- Repair or remove tripping hazards.
- Use a Cane or Walker to steady yourself when getting up or walking.
- Wear rubber-soled low heeled shoes. Avoid socks on stairs or waxed floors.
- Hold handrails when you use the stairs or install a stairlift.
- Avoid loose clothing that bunches up or drags on the ground.
- Light areas of the home adequately.
- Don’t stand on chairs to reach items on tall shelves.
- Use non-slip mats in bathrooms and showers.
- Use grab bars, raised toilet seats and transfer benches to reduce falls in bathrooms.
- Move more carefully around the home. Do not rush or move quickly.
- Regular exercise can help reduce the chance of a fall.
- Take care of your overall health.
- Have vision and hearing tested often.
- Discuss possible side effects from medication with your doctor or pharmacist.
Live Well. Stay Active.